never2old
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fagin
Administrator
Administrator
Fagin

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Empty
PostSubject: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:09 am

WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE THIS? FOLLOW THIS CONCISE PAINTSHOP PRO TUTORIAL AND LEARN HOW THE MASTER MAKES STAINED GLASS! MAY NEED ADAPTING FOR YOUR VERSION OF PSP. I WILL TRY IT IN VERSION 9, AND ASK ONE OF OUR VERSION 13 USERS TO TRY IN THAT eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_wink

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial TheFourDirections

Many thanks to our own eaglefeather for his hours of work and dedication to bring us this superb PSP tutorial. It is here for you to see and can be downloaded from the link here. STAINED GLASS TUTORIAL The pictures used are in the zip file here. PICTURES Note: These files are virus free and on my own server!

Back to top Go down
https://never2old.darkbb.com
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Whoo Hoo! its here Smile

Thank you so much Bob, for all the time taken in putting this together for us, its so much appreciated.

Now just a little question, should I be using PSP 5,6 or 7 ideally to have a go at this?

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyWed May 05, 2010 2:55 am

Bob are you hignoring me? Smile
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyThu May 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi there,

No not ignoring, just didn't notice that you had posted. Must get these old peepers checked again. eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_smile

The tutorial can idealy be acommplished with either PSP 6 or 7. But keep in mind that I wrote it for 7, so if you use 6, some of the tools work slightly different, and may not be in the same top menu. There are only a few that work or are placed different from 7 and it is not difficult to find them. For example the Effects menu for the inner bevel. In psp 7 it can be found under Effects from the top menu, in psp 6 you will find it under the top menu, Image and then Effects.

I suspect it can be done in vers from 8 up, but I could not find a way to set my own line width, for drawing a line. I find it very hard to believe that it would have been dropped from the program, but was unable to find it. Perhaps someone familiar with vers 8 and above could let us know if it is possible. But other than that all the tools to complete the project should be there.

(Note: By line width I am referring to the width/thickness in pixels. In ver 6 I can set the width/thickness to any number I wish.

Hope this answers your question. If you run into trouble, or have problems, PM me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
http://members.fortunecity.com/theeaglefeather/
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyThu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Only teasing you Bob Smile

I have a job checking new posts too, and miss the odd one or two on occasions.

Thank you for your help, I am going to have a go at this over the weekend.

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Administrator
Administrator
Fagin

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyFri May 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Yes I can assure you all that every version had the ability to set the line width, you just have to set up your work area with the tools you use most. The help file soon shows you how to get at this tool and put it in place.

That's my tuppence worth
eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Lol
Back to top Go down
https://never2old.darkbb.com
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Bob,

Be prepared for a barrage of questions. Smile

The first one being, I can't seem to find the glass samples that are required.

Did you have to become a member to download them?

Can you put the link on this thread to the page where they are please?

I am raring to go Smile

Skye
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptySun May 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Panic over Bob I have found them, and Fagin will upload the glass samples to his server for ease of use.

Thanks,

Skye
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 10, 2010 2:29 am

Ok here we go again, I am the mistress of daft questions Smile

At the beginning of the tutorial when you are drawing the lines across the crowns, my last one still looks like charging ants, should it?

Skye
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 10, 2010 7:59 am

Not a daft question at all, an indication that I missed something or did not make the tutorial clear. If you still have the ants, simply go to "Selection/Select None", this will turn them off.

When the ants are marching along their merry little way, you are unable to make any modifications to your work other than inside the area surround by the ants. So it is important to always deselect them after preforming a particular function.

Back to top Go down
Tricia
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Tricia

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 11, 2010 1:16 am

Once I get this photo exam paperwork out of the way then I too can settle down to continue with my own work. Nearly all day yesterday was devoted to ensuring my son had got all the photos he wanted sorted. Then the theory work which must be finished this morning. So have three hours before I have to go out.
At least I can download all the necessary files and have them ready for action. eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_lol providing my brain cell hasn't gone on strike that is. eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.townrow.org.uk
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 11, 2010 3:23 am

Aww Tricia, you have got a heavy load. It sounds like you are taking the exam with him. I do however wish him every success do let us know how it goes.

I am plodding on with it sporadically, as I too have trouble devoting time to things.

I am enjoying getting back into working with PSP though, and the inspiration that I will be able to do my own designs once I have completed the tutorial is superb.

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Tricia
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Tricia

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 11, 2010 4:56 am

Yes I reckon I am taking it with him, it was the Einstein theory that left me with the headache yesterday. eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:36 am

Oh Gawd Tricia, I hope its all done and dusted now and the headache has gone.

EF, I have run into a few problems but rather than stop and ask then go again, I have kept going regardless.

I thought this way, even though the end result will not be correct, it might help others.

My first hiccup was drawing the long diagonal lines in the crown, the short ones I could do fine, but the longer ones going to the points in the center circle would not follow the template in a straight line and were jaggy whatever I tried.

The other little problem is you asked me to use "white glass" to fill one of the crowns however you did not as far as I know tell us to download white glass or tell us how to make it like you did the black.

I am going to download a white glass now and plod on with it.

As a result of my long diagonal lines not being spot on, I have not got perfect welds to my circle.

In fact it looks more like a bit of stained glass I would make, as I am not that good at welding.

I have really enjoyed working with the layers though, even though when I added in the new raster layer and called it black, my new piece of glass covered the blue piece I had already put in.

I fiddled with the layers, and ended up putting it on the background layer which I know is wrong, but it was the only way I could do it.

I am guessing I must have gone wrong somewhere in between adding the blue glass and making a new raster layer for the black.

I will get something finished today, but it will not look quite as it should for sure.

Skye
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:57 am

Not sure what could be the problem with the long angled lines. If you have a moment please make a new image, just a small one and draw one of those jagged lines on it, then either post it here, or send it to my email so I can have a look at it. I should be able to figure out what is wrong once I see it. I have probably been there and done that, eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_lol and will be able to tell you how to correct it.

Oops on the white glass! eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_redface I completely forgot Spectrum does not have a white sample in the "Artique" glass. What I had to do was change one of the other coloured pieces into white by going to Colors/grey-scale. I found the one that gives the best white glass is the Yellow.

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Whiteg10

You can get a copy using the following link:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/09/83/71/whiteg10.jpg
(right click on the image and then on "Save image as".)

I am not sure I understand the problem you had with the black layer. When you first put the black glass on the layer, certainly it will cover the blue or any other work which is on a layer below it. However, we use the Selection Tool or Eraser Tool to remove any glass outside the area we want to be black, and as soon as we do that, colours below will be visible again.

The stacking order of the various glass layers is unimportant, with the exception of the Amber layer, as long as the they are above the Background Layer and below the Frame Layer. I put them one on top of the other starting with the blue for no particular reason, we could have started with any of the colours.

Hope this helps, Skye! If not let me know and we can try working it out to keep you on the right track.

If you are new to PSP or have not done much in the way of creating from scratch, even with a tutorial to work with, problems will and do crop up. When that happens the best course of action is to ask for help. I am always ready, willing and able to help. And Absolutely No questions is too trival, unimportant, or stupid, all questions are ligitimante and will be answered to the best of my ability.

Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh yes this is certainly making things much clearer for me EF.

I am not sure if I will have to start again from scratch or not, quite possibly I will.

I don't mind as its making me more familiar with the program.

I have downloaded the white glass and understand what you are saying now about cleaning up after the placement of the colours.

I will try the diagonal lines again, and if I run into trouble I will send you a screen shot. I am working on the little lap top in the lounge, whilst our main computer is up here in the craft room.

So it just means saving the screen shot and transferring it to this PC.

I have not had chance to do anything today, I have completely reorganised the back workshop which houses all the tools, benches, tractor etc to make it more workable.

I will however be devoting more time to it very soon as I just love stained glass and want to learn how to do more curvy designs next Smile

Thanks again for your patience.

Skye
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyWed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Glad I could help! Once you get the hang of this one and understand how it all works, producing your own designs will be easy. After posting the how too for Milkglass, I got to playing around and made a stained glass door window. I made the panes of glass by just adding some colours to a white background then used the Kaleidoscope Tool found in Effects. Then added the Milkglass effect. I like the soft feeling the effect gives.

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Sgdoor10

I may try doing a round or half moon door window next and perhaps use a variation of glass panes.

Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyThu May 13, 2010 3:11 am

Now your showing off Lol!!

Its very pretty and I am very jealous that you are such a master Smile

Skye
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptySun May 16, 2010 5:44 am

Ok, I have started the tutorial again, and all is going very well.

However! I am stuck from step 125 putting in the second piece of amber glass.

I have made a new raster layer, named it amber 2, copied and pasted as a new selection, my ambler glass into this layer, but I can't see it.

All I can see is the selection rectangle dashes.

When I click on the layers and view the amber 2 layer I can see it on the thumbnail, but I can't see it on my work area at all.

I was nearly jumping for joy too eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_cheers, as I had got my diagonal lines straight and my welding was spot on eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_smile eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Icon_smile

Can you help me EF????

Skye x
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptySun May 16, 2010 7:12 pm

It sounds to me as if you have used the Selection Tool to try and remove all of the outside excess at once. This cannot be done with the Selection Tool because everything within the ants becomes your selection and is affected by your next action. So if you enclosed the piece you want, then used delete, you would actually be deleting the piece. When you then used Copy, you would be copying an empty selection.

If you wish to use the Selection Tool for this part there are only two ways to go about it.

1. Remove just a bit at a time, I personally prefer this method and that is how I wrote the tutorial. I find it much faster, with less chance of error. By just a bit at a time I mean, take all of one side off first, then the next side, etc. see fig 1 & 2.

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Fig_110
Fig 1

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Fig210
Fig 2

As you can see in fig 1, I have selected the top and right side. In Fig 2 you can see that I have used the delete key to remove the top selection and then selected the left side and bottom, then I would use the Delete key again. I would be left with just the area I want still showing the glass.

2. Cut out. In this method you use the Selection Tool to go completely surround the object you wish to keep. Then go to Edit/copy. You would now have a copy of the piece saved to the clipboard. But now there are a number of extra steps required. You next must go back to the Layers Palette and turn off all of the layers except the one you are working on. Then you would use the Magic Wand to select all the remaining parts of the glass left on the work area. Then you would click on the Delete Key of the keyboard. Then you have to go to Selections/Select None. The work area should now be completely clear. Then you must go back to the Layers Palette and turn everything back on and make sure that the layer you are working on is the Active Layers. Then you would go to Edit/Paste/As New Selection. Your cut out piece would then appear on the screen and you use the mouse to move it into position where you want it.

As you can see, the second method requires a lot of extra steps and really isn't any faster than the first. You can also remove all of the excess glass by just using the Eraser Tool.

If I am right in my assumption, the above should solve your problem Skye.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We went to dinner and the horse races in Sudbury last night and I ate something that really didn't like me. As a result I have spent most of today in bed feeling not all that well, to put it mildly. I am feeling much better now, so whatever it was has worked it's way through my system.

Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:48 am

That's no problem at all Bob, I am so sorry you have been feeling poorly. Did you have fish?

I didn't use the selection tool to remove the excess glass, I have been using the eraser tool and doing a bit at a time switching between the round and the square brush.

I will retrace my steps after adding the center circle and see if I can twig it Smile

Thanks,

Skye
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyMon May 17, 2010 8:46 am

Ok, if that is not the problem, there are two other possibilities. The first to check is the copy of the glass image you wish to insert into your main work. Does it have more than one layer, and if so make sure that the layer with the glass on it is the one that is active. It could be that when you copied the glass it was not on the active layer and so you ended up with an empty selection. This has happend to me more than once.

The second possibility, is that your Amber 2 layer is below another layer that is blocking it from showing. So first go to the Layers Palette and check the position of your Amber Layer. If it seems to be in the correct place, then go to each of the layers above, one at a time and turn them off. After turning the layer off check your work to see if the Amber 2 layer has become visible. Keep doing this until you find out which layer is blocking your Amber Layer. Then you either move it below the Amber 2 Layer, or fix whatever it is on that layer that is blocking the Amber Layer from showing through. (You can move the layers in the Layer Palette by simply placing the cursor over the layer you want to move, press and hold the left mouse button, then drag the layer either up or down, and when it is where you want it, release the mouse button. Be sure to turn the layers back on once you have found the problem.

Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down
Tricia
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Tricia

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:00 am

Sorry haven't had time to do the tutorial, but reading this very quickly and I do mean quickly. So apologies if I haven't understood what you are asking Skye. What about selecting the area you want to fill with your magic wand then the marching ants appear then using your copying from the colour why not use Paste - Into Selection, it will then go into the marching ants then select none. Either that or what about using the flood fill again using that in the marching ants. If you set your material palette up high enough then the glass colour will show as you want it to show. You don't have to save the glass colours to the texture folder you can just pick them up from your PSP screen.
A friend of mine has been playing with a butterfly stained glass tutorial that she picked up from the internet, although this is a butterfly template not one to make from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:49 am

Hi Bob and Tricia,

I have not had chance to have another go at this yet, but I think I understand what you both are saying. There are usually many ways to skin a cat!

I would love to do a butterfly one, I adore butterflies Smile

I had better stick to this one first though, I am not brilliant with layers. But everything was going so well, until I had to put my second piece of amber glass in.

I will try both options suggested.

But on the layers issue, which order should the layers be in order to do it according to the tutorial.

Is the format you see them in the layers drop down box how they actually are?

Does anyone understand what I am trying to say Sad

Its hard when you are working on one Pc and use another for the internet.

Skye Smile
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial EmptyTue May 18, 2010 9:23 am

Your suggestion will not work in this instance Tricia, because you are placing the glass on an empty layer. There are a number of different way to accomplish getting the glass, but for those relatively new to PSP, the method used in the tutorial is the easiest.

Skye as for layers, they really are not difficult. Just think of the layers as a stack of clear plastic pages and you want to draw a different part of your image on each page of the stack.

As for the order of the layers at Step 125 they should be as follows:

Frame
Amber 1
Amber 2
Background

The Frame layer should contain the Frame and all of the glass except the Amber. If you changed the back ground colour, it should be showing through parts of left and bottom crowns and in three places (they kinda look like Y's) branching out from around the centre.

The Amber 1 layer should be showing through parts of the top crown, the right crown and the space between the crowns.

The Amber 2 layer should not have anything on it yet because you are in the process of placing the glass.

The Background layer should have whatever background colour you chose. It should show all around the outside of the Polygon and also through the places on the frame where you have not yet placed glass.

If your image does not look like I have described there has to be a problem with one of the layers. As I mentioned in my previous post, if there is a problem with a layer the easiest way to find it is to turn the layers off one at a time until you find the offending layer.

If you were able to place the Amber 1 glass with no problem, then I would be willing to bet that the problem is on the Amber 1 glass layer, unless you placed the Amber 2 layer under the background layer. Remember the background layer is one solid colour, any layers below it will not show through.

If the problem is on the Amber 1 layer, turning off all the other layers will show you what the problem is, simply because it will now be the only layer turned on.

If the problem is not with the layers, then the problem has to be with the sample glass image. That is why I asked you to check and make sure the sample glass image only has one layer and that when you copy, you copy from the layer that actually has the glass sample on it.

I sure hope this makes it clearer for you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial   eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial Empty

Back to top Go down

eaglefeathers Stained glass Tutorial
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next