never2old
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tutorial on it's way, shortly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

Tutorial on it's way, shortly Empty
PostSubject: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_biggrin Hello there friends and neighbours. Fagan has asked me to moderate this forum, even though I am a doddery old cuss that doesn't have much of a clue when it comes to much of this stuff. It seems to be a full time job just to keep my computer from crashing around my ears. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_lol

However, Digital graphics is a kind of hobby that I have been playing with for well over 15 years now, and even if I do say so myself, I have become quite good at it.

When Sky and Fagan asked me to do some tutorial's for Paintshop Pro, I said yes without thinking. Certainly I can write PSP tutorials in my sleep, however, (and did you ever notice how there always seems to be a, "however!"), while I am a whizz with PSP 6, all of the versions above 6 leave me cold. JASC, the originators of Paintshop Pro, that most of us affectionately refer to as PSP, started off in the right vain.

They wanted to design and build a graphics program to rival Adobe's Photoshop. They started off with versions 1, 2 and 3 by offering them free to the general public. Now admittedly, these first 3 versions were not much better than MSPaint, but could do a few things better. Giving the first 3 version out free was a shrewd move on their part, because they used the first 3 versions to build a fan base. Version 4 offered much more than MSPaint and version 5 was even better, but they charged a small fee for both of them. (I have all versions of PSP from 1 to 9)

Then their programers came up with, what I consider the absolutely best graphics design and drawing program available anywhere. PSP 6. With this version one can be extremely creative with photos and digital drawing. Internet clubs/groups/forums sprang up all over the internet focused solely on using PSP 6. That was how I met Fagan and Sky, they had another forum back then and PSP was an important part of that forum.

PSP 6 has all of the tools one needs to create all of your own graphics, no matter what they are. But the one thing that set PSP above other graphics programs was it's user friendly interface. Tools were named with names that indicated what the tool does, not some techno jargon that leaves the ordinary user totally mystified. Everything was simple, from drawing a line, to making an interface for your website, to morphing a photo, to splicing photos, to removing parts of a photo and pasting them into another. It was all simple stuff.

When JASC announced that version 7 was on the drawing boards and would be released in the near future, PSP fans all over the world were lined up awaiting the big day with anticipation for this new version. JASC promised all kinds of new additions to make working with graphics even better.

Finally one day it was delivered to my door and I rushed to my PC to install it. Then the big let down when I tried to work with it. JASC had fallin' into the same pit that Microsoft and Adobe and 90% of all the other software providers were in. Rearrange the tools to make everyone think they are getting something new. Make it more difficult to work with and learn. Take away some of the tools and move others around. I gave it an honest try for about two weeks and finally gave up in disgust and have not used it since. At least not until a few days ago.

I also purchased versions 8 and 9 and was not impressed by either of those either. Mind you I like the text tools in version 8 and use them from time to time when I want to create specific effects. But as far as I was concerend I had been burned 3 times by JASC and I wasn't going to get burned again. I didn't even bother to look at any of the info for version 10. Then JASC sold out to Corel, which to my mind meant the absolute end of PSP. Corel keeps trying to get me to go look at their latest version, but I am not interested. I don't want a photo program, I want a graphics program, and I have one, the very best, PSP 6.

Version 7 was the last version that could be called a graphics/photo program. Versions 8 and up are designed more for working with photos. In fact I tried to do the stained glass tutorial in version 8 but couldn't draw a straight line to the specific thickness that I wanted, the Draw Tool has no settings, it's take it or leave it, so I left it. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_eek

I guess what I am trying to say here is that if you want do your own digital artwork, not just work with photos, you need a copy of version 6, version 7 will work in a pinch but it can not do what version 6 does. For example, I like to make my own frames for photos and my digital artwork. In version 6 this is simple and makes the most amazing frames. The feature that I really like is that you can take the image or photo you want to frame and use it to colour the frame with Flood Fill. Because the frame is coloured using the image, the frame matches the image, blending in beautifully. I tried to do that at the end of the stained glass tutorial for you, but couldn't. JASC took that feature out of version 7.

In anycase from here on in, I would be happy to put together tutorials, but they will have to be things I can do with version 6 and that will be compatable with whichever of the later versions of PSP you may have. I really do not want to have to work with version 7 again. If you have questions on how to create a specific effect, ask away and I will try to come up with an answer for you.

Sky asked me about sparkling text. I took a look at the sample and know that I can reproduce that in PSP 6. It will take a bit of work to do it, but it can be done. For me, the fun of PSP is figuring out how to do things for myself, rather than using effect generators and what not. So when I get a bit more time I will play with it and perhaps be able to write a short tut for it. As it is text it should be possible to do it in all PSP versions.

Ok, guess that is all, but I do want everyone to know where I am coming from. I am 65 years old and very set in my ways, I absolutely hate change for change sake.

I will try to come up with some challenges, not tutorials, in which you can use your present PSP skills to create works of art that will thrill, not only you, but your friends and family as well. So please stay tuned, the Stained Glass tutorial should be posted within the next week. The tut is currently half typed, I do it all in long hand with an old fashioned pen and paper first, then enter it into the computer. Told you I was set in my ways. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_biggrin Once I get it typed I will try to post a challenge to keep you busy until the tut gets posted.

Cheers, Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_cheers
Eaglefeather

"Elders say, man who walk rough road end up with sore feet."
Back to top Go down
http://members.fortunecity.com/theeaglefeather/
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 am

Oh The Eagle has Landed Smile Smile Smile

You may in your eyes be old and dodgery, but in ours you are an inspiration Bob.

We are not worried at all that you prefer PSP 6, I myself prefer the older versions too.

We are delighted to have you as Moderator of this forum in any shape or form.

I am so looking forward to doing the stained glass tutorial and I appreciate every last dot and T crossed that was needed to write it.

Bless you, for being a part of our new venture and for your precious time.

Skye
Back to top Go down
Tricia
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Tricia

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 6:57 am

I am working on version 13 and have over the time learnt how to adjust and convert over some of the earlier versions. Not always an easy thing I must admit, but working with version 13 there are certainly some good items in there. I do graphic work and also use a lot of plug ins.

Certainly I will be one to be having a go at your tutorial and hopefully will be able to convert or adjust some of your instructions. I gave up using earlier versions sometime back and because I passed on my earlier versions I never kept copies, which as we all know is illegal to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.townrow.org.uk
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Sky and Tricia.

Very glad you kept version 6 Sky. I are too old and dodgery, I like being old and dodgery, folks expect it of me and that's what they get. Besides at times it can be a great excuse for this and that. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_lol

Hi Tricia, nice to meet you, I hope we can become good friends. I like pulling photos apart and reassembling them, to wherever my creative juices, at any given moment, take me. I know that some of the newer versions, not only of Paintshop Pro, but Photoshop as well, have tools that make this a much simpler process. BTW this tut can also be done with Photoshop 7, I have a copy, but don't use it. The basic tools used can be found in most graphics programs.

I have no idea if version 13 will let you specify line width/thickness when you draw a line. I was unable to figure out how to do it in version 8 or 9, because the options that are available in ver 6 & 7 are missing from the later versions. For stained glass drawing, line thickness/width is extremely important. I cannot concieve that Corel would have removed the mover tool, the eraser or the Freehand tool from versions after 10, the basic tools need to do the tut.

I have the tut just about half typed now, but won't be able to get back to it until Monday. I have to cook a banquet for 100 tomorrow at the church and won't get home until after 10 pm and will be pretty much bushed by then. For some strange reason this old body, that has served me so faithfully all these years, gets really tired and sore after 12 hours in the church kitchen. I think me is gonna hav'ta find a witch-doctor or medicine man to find out why. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Icon_rolleyes

Take care all and God bless,
Eaglefeather

Elders say, "Man who walk rough road end up with sore feet."
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 7:46 am

Hello there Bob, should I call you Bob on here? Not sure what you would prefer.

I have been searching through some of our old disks, and have found PSP 5, we had 6 and I am sure it is filed somewhere safe. Smile

If I can't find it, then I will get a trial to do the tutorial with.

Do not worry about rushing to get the tutorial up, whats worth waiting for and all that Smile

Thinking of you with your chef's cap on today, and hoping all goes well.

Don't overdo it will you.

Skye

In the meantime I came across this that may be useful.

http://www.baycongroup.com/paint_shop_pro/p07_6.htm
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:47 am

You can call me whatever you, Sky, my name appears on all of my artwork, so there is no way to hide my identity. Besides I don't work for the CIA or MI5, so I don't really need to use an assumed name. Tutorial on it's way, shortly Suspect

The dinner went great. I have actually become quite good a cooking these big dinners. The roast beef was so tender you could cut it with a fork. I had rave reviews aftwards, which I find a bit embarassing. I am not one that like to be praised for doing something simple. Cooking to me comes naturally, I don't give it much thought. I know what tastes good to me and that is how I cook, to please me. If I don't like something I have prepared, to me it is a flop, and no amount of back slapping will make me feel better about it or change my mind.

I have a couple of photos I can share, but this isn't the right forum for it so I will place them in the proper forum.

Cheers,
Eaglefeather

Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 12:26 pm

Glad all went well Bob, Roast Beef when its tender is the bees knees.

If it turns out like an old piece of leather then its jolly awful.

I too enjoy cooking, I promised you a hotpot recipe which I have not given you yet.

I may ask Fagin to add a forum for recipes, that would be nice wouldn't it.

I know he is looking for a Key Lime Pie one, but not found anything half decent yet.

Are you continuing your cooking duties after your stint ends with K of K?

Skye

Ps Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 3:32 pm

You have that right!

A recipe forum might be a great idea. I know there are loads of fabulous home recipes out there. Every once in a while I come across one and add to my recipe file.

Key Lime Pie.....mmmmm. Seems to me I have one or two in one of my recipe files, I'll have a look.

I am still trying to find a recipe for "Spotted Dog" or as my mum called it, Suet Pudding.

Yes I will most likely continue cooking for the church and the KofC once my term as Grand Knight ends in June. There is no one else willing to try cooking for such large numbers. Even Elfio, my side kick in the kitchen, will not take it on by himself, eventhough I know he can handle it without me. So I guess I am stuck with it for a while yet.

Cheers,
Eaglefeather
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Hello Bob,

The recipe category will be put up asap. Fagin thinks its a good idea if it gets used. Which I think it will. Smile

We tried to think of subjects people might like, but you never really know until things get going do you?

I thought I'd given you a suet pudding recipe, obviously not. We must have just spoken about it.

I will try and look that out for you, a fair swap for Key Lime Pie don't you think?

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 am

Back on topic, Bob can this tutorial be done using Version 5 I have that. Still searching for my Version 6.

In the meantime a useful link for brushes and tubes.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/paintshopprodownloads/Free_Paint_Shop_Pro_Downloads_Brushes_Patterns_Presets_Tubes_Etc.htm

Skye
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm

I honestly don't remember much about ver 5 it has been so long since I took it off of my computer. However, if it has Layers, then you most likely will be able to do the tutorial. The first six versions were mainly digital drawing programs and each was an improvement over the previous one. I could be wrong, but if memory serves me correctly it wasn't until version 6 that PSP started to move into photo manipulation, and continued that trend from then on, mainly to compete with Photoshop.

But you may have a more immediate problem if you have upgraded your operating system to Vista or Win7. The early versions, including 6, may not run on these newer OS's. I know that when we purchased a new laptop for Maureen last year, it came with Vista and I could not get version 6 to run on it. I remember I tried to find new drivers for it but couldn't find any. I suppose it is possible that since then Corel has made drivers for some of the versions issued before they bought the rights, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the link, I will give it a look see.

Cheers,
Eaglefeather

Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am

Hi Bob,

I still run XP on my computer, so I am hoping that will be fine even though my version 5 is very old. It came with a magazine and that is how I first got into it. I am sure it has the layer facility, I am going to install it today.

I will let you know how I get on, and perhaps try a few basic tutorials first before I attempt your challenge:)

Skye
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial on it's way, shortly   Tutorial on it's way, shortly Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial on it's way, shortly
Page 1 of 1