never2old
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Eagles Nest

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

The Eagles Nest Empty
PostSubject: The Eagles Nest   The Eagles Nest EmptyWed May 05, 2010 8:42 pm

In the Motors forum, Skye asked me to post some images of the Eagles Nest. Realizing that the Motors forum was not realy the place for general photos, and not wanting to have Fagin after me for improper forum use, I thought I had better post them here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Some of these photos I took, some are family photos. Also some are very old, in b & w, taken in the 1950's when the the place was still almost virgin wilderness. The property was purchased in 1950 and I have few photos of the first 5 years. The first photo I have is of Muareen's Uncle Alf, he pretty much built everything himself, with a little help from family and friends, taken in 1951.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1951, the beach does not exist at this point in time. It is a marshy cove, with loads of heavy vines and bushes as well as cat tails and other water plants.

This photo was taken in 1955. As you can see the road had been cleared, and some of the marsh had been removed to provide a bit of a beach.

In this photo, also taken in 1955, what are now Cabins #2 & #3 have just been completed, but they are still fully surrounded by trees.

In this photo taken in 1959, the beach has pretty much been cleared. The boathouse is finished, and the main cabin is just barely visible behind the trees in the centre of the photo.

This is the final photo I have of the early years. It was taken in 1970 while Alf was building the house. Unfortunately, this was also the year Alf was diagnosed with parkinsons. He managed to get the house finished enough that they were able to move in permanently in 1971. But his condition deteriorated quickly and by 1972 Alf was no longer able to do anything. That is when I came on the scene. Although I had no experience with construction, I took over and finished things that weren't completed. Alf would tell me how to do it and I would do the manual work. But even that was short lived, only two summers. Alf's parkinsons got so bad, not only had he lost the use of body control, he also lost the ability to speak.

In 20 years, Alf and Em had cleared an enourmous amount of land, built eight cabins, and a house, in the wilderness. For me it is extremely sad that he was not able to enjoy what he had built. Alf passed away in a nursing home in Gravenhurst a few years later.

I will add more photos to this thread in the next few days.

Back to top Go down
http://members.fortunecity.com/theeaglefeather/
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

The Eagles Nest Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Eagles Nest   The Eagles Nest EmptyThu May 06, 2010 11:15 am

I find this all so interesting.

As I said before when you talk about it, I can imagine myself being there.

Almost as if I have been there in a different life maybe? Probably sounds daft to some but I really have a warm affinity with the place.

I shall be watching the thread with interest.

Skye
Back to top Go down
Fagin
Administrator
Administrator
Fagin

The Eagles Nest Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Eagles Nest   The Eagles Nest EmptyFri May 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Superb history in a nutshell Bob. Obviously we have know about the Eagle Nest for many years and have been enthralled with some of your super stories. This however shows us the bits that were missing, nice one mate.
Back to top Go down
https://never2old.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

The Eagles Nest Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Eagles Nest   The Eagles Nest Empty

Back to top Go down

The Eagles Nest
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
never2old :: Main Forums :: Hobby Corner :: Photography-
Jump to: