never2old
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cherry Date Loaf

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am

We mus'ent forget the sweets. Here is a great loaf recipe that I picked up somewhere in my travels and modified to meet my likes. I confess I am not good at following recipes, I invariably modifiy them to come up with my own version.

Cherry Date Loaf

Ingredients

¼ cup 50ml Butter or margarine
½ cup 125ml Dates cut in pieces (chop as fine as possible if not using food processor.)
1 tsp 5ml Baking Soda
1 cup 250ml Boiling water
1 tsp 5ml Vanilla
2 cups 500ml All purpose flour
1 cup 250ml Sugar (can be cut by up to ½ cup - 125ml or substitute artificial sweetner)
1 tsp 5ml Baking Powder
½ tsp 2ml Salt (may be omitted or cut in half)
1 cup 250ml Maraschino Cherries cut in half
1 cup 250ml Raisins or chopped nuts or both
2 eggs Beaten

Preheat oven to 350̊F (180̊C)

Method

Combine butter, dates and baking soda in bowl or food processor. Add the boiling water and vanilla.. Beat thoroughly or use food processor to almost liquify the dates.

In second bowl beat the eggs until frothy. Add to date mixture and mix thoroughly.

In a third bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly. Then add the raisins and/or nuts and mix to coat the raisins. Next add the cherries and do the same.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir gently to moisten the dry ingredients, do not over beat. Dry ingredients only need to be moistened.

Pour mixture into a greased, (I use PAM), 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Test with toothpick in centre, if toothpick comes out dry the loaf is done. Cool for about 10 minutes, remove from pan onto cooling rack.

When loaf is cool enough to touch without any discomfort it may be cut and consumed. This loaf is delicious, warm or cold.

Yield: 1 loaf.

Time to prepare: Approximately 15 minutes, plus cooking time.
Back to top Go down
http://members.fortunecity.com/theeaglefeather/
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 am

Glad you can substitute the sugar for sweetener, I have to do this for diabetic reasons.

What is all purpose flour then, plain/self raising or something else completely?

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

Sorry just one more thing.

Baking Soda is that Bicarbonate of Soda?
Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm

I must remember that we are dealing internationally with our forum, and that items may not have the have the same name in other countries, or may not even be available in some places.

All Purpose Flour, is plain, white flour that may be used in any recipe calling for white flour. It also comes presifted in Canada, in other countries it may be necessary to sift before using.

Baking Soda is bicarbonate of soda, sold under two brand names, "Cow Brand" and "Arm & Hammer Brand".

Back to top Go down
eaglefeather
eaglefeather

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:47 pm

I almost forgot! For anyone that has a problem with sugar, you may also want to omit the Marachino Cherries, they contain an enormous amount of sugar. You may substitute with some dried fruit, or just omit the fruit altogether. I used an Almond Biscotti recipe to come up with this one. They are good either way.
Back to top Go down
Skye
Assistant Administrator
Assistant Administrator
Skye

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf EmptySat May 01, 2010 2:21 am

That's cleared that up just fine Mr Feather, loving the new Avatar, one of your own creations for sure?

Skye x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cherry Date Loaf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cherry Date Loaf   Cherry Date Loaf Empty

Back to top Go down

Cherry Date Loaf
Page 1 of 1